The above lines by William Ernest Henley not only describe Eastwood's movie "Invictus", they also describe the man himself. When I first saw the movie ‘Million Dollar Baby’ I loved every bit of it. However, I did not take the effort to note the name of the director. After watching ‘Unforgiven’I did take that effort and in the process realized the full potential of the man the world knows as ‘Clint Eastwood’.

I admire several directors for several reasons. Clint Eastwood I respect for his choice of the theme and his handling of it…. ‘Million Dollar Baby’ and its handling of euthanasia is a clear case in mention. However more than direction, here Clint Eastwood the actor gets credit. Along with him, I felt the pain of killing someone I love knowing I was in reality making it easier for her.

Grans Torino, dealt with relationship with an unknown boy and the extent of sacrifice one can make for someone they love. Concept tried and tested no doubt, but under his directorial gaze, it move beyond being just a cinematic experience. It becomes something that stays with you for life. Such is his understanding of human emotion, an understanding bettered by his portrayal of it.

His film ‘Letters from Iwo Jima’ talks about a Japan-America war from the Japanese perspective. On the other hand, the movie ‘Flags of our Fathers’ talks about the same war from an American perspective. Two movies having the same story yet they couldn’t be any more different. Simple viewing is also sufficient to signify the amount of research the man has done before coming up with war movie master pieces….

Clint Eastwood – the director and actor leaves me with no option but to respect him. Respect for his basic concept, elaboration of the concept and its inimitable execution.